Pages

Update on married life

Monday, March 10, 2014
I know, I know. I am not a diligent blogger. It's not that I don't have good intentions or even good ideas, it's just that there are about a thousand things that come first on my to-do list. Oh well.

I wanted to write an update on our lives for the friends and family that I don't get to talk to very often or that live far away (I miss you, friends in Columbia!). That's usually what people ask when they see or talk to me: "How is married life?" Of course I don't usually have the chance to go into a lot of details, so I just say, "Great!" which it is. But I figured this way I could share a little more. :)

First off, tour of our apartment. We are currently living in the Maryland Heights area of St. Louis, for those of you who don't know. We have the best location ever. Seriously, it's fantastic. Everything we need and want is so close by (including an Asian market!). Our apartment itself is really nice, too, aside from the lack of washer and dryer. That's it's major downfall. But a lot of families live in the complex and aside from the whiny dog and the elephants upstairs, it's really quiet except for the sounds of children playing outside on nice afternoons. That sound makes it feel homey. :) Here's the photo tour:

Living room:
This is what it looks like if you walk in our front door and look to the right. We just hung up our wedding pictures above the couch with our cute "Mr. & Mrs. Shadduck" cake topper. You can see Cosmo's throne as well. He loves to sit and watch the birds that land on the balcony.

Side note: our grill isn't normally there. We brought it in because of the ice last week.



Dining room area thing/kitchen:
The kitchen is tiny. We climb over each other when we're cooking or cleaning up after dinner. It's okay, though. :)



Hallway/office:
The office is the door on the left. Cosmo is peering out of our bedroom, which is at the end of the hall. Our office is where we compromised on the decor from our unmarried lives: mine on one side, his on the other.





Bedroom:
Our bedroom is really a great size, and it's awesome that it has two closets. Obviously mine is the walk-in, but Joe's is still decent sized! We have a super comfy queen bed that makes it super hard to get up in the morning.





Bathroom:
Our bathroom has a nautical/beach theme. My awesome friend Hailey painted us the "you anchor me" canvas that you can see reflected in the mirror and the sea shells are from our honeymoon. The picture on top of the hutch is one from when we were on Saona Island on our honeymoon.




So that's home! We really do love it and it really feels like our home. :)

As far as married life goes...

We are truly, truly loving it. I thank God every day because I feel so blessed to be in such a happy, supportive, loving relationship. Being married has been the biggest blessing of my life so far. It is so wonderful to have someone to go through everything with. I know that no matter how busy or stressful my day is, Joe will be at home that night to snuggle up with me and make it all better. It is such a wonderful thing.

Joe is a wonderful husband. I am a super lucky lady. He helps me around the house all the time, warms my car up for me in the morning, always makes the coffee and runs errands on his way home from work. Plus he's a good caretaker when I'm sick, as I found out last week.

We have started to feel like we are falling into the routine of our lives. We both work full-time, and one wonderful thing is that we get home right around the same time. After we get home, we do P90X3 (30 minute workout). It has been really great for us to get into a consistent workout routine, and we both feel really great and healthy. We work out with Joe's sister, Erin, and her husband, Sean. They live across the street, which is awesome. After that, we cook dinner. Joe is super helpful in the kitchen. Cooking together is one of our favorite things to do, and he always helps clean up dishes, even if he helped cooked. We've gotten really efficient at it. He usually cleans up while I pack our lunches for the next day. Things feel very natural and routine. He washes, I dry. I cut up the fruit, he juices it. I serve our plates, he gets our drinks. Etc. etc.

We've also taken up some TV shows and video games together. This is one of the most frustrating parts of marriage, because all our shows we watch together. So when I'm home for a snow day or something, what am I supposed to watch?! I have to wait for him! Just kidding about it being one of the most frustrating parts of marriage. But it is true that I never know what to watch when I'm alone because we watch things together. Boo. Anyway, currently we are watching Friends, we just finished an anime called Clannad and we play Diablo III. Ha.

We plan to take up tennis together now that the weather is nice. We have tennis courts across the street from us, so that's cool. We also live near Creve Coeur Park so we go for long walks when it's nice outside.

We also binge on candy together (THANK GOODNESS Joe loves candy as much as I do), make copious amounts of popcorn, spend basically all of our at-home time in our pajamas, go out for date nights every couple of weeks, laugh at Cosmo "hunting" birds, hang out with friends and basically just have a good time together.

Both of our jobs are going well. I am loving student teaching, and Joe is still working at Trane. He doesn't love it, but it is a good job and it's supporting us really well right now, so we are thankful for it. I am currently on the hunt for a job for next school year. I have at least one prospect so far, and it is really early to even have that, so I am feel optimistic about the search. I know there's a job out there for me, I just have to trust that I will find it.

So that's an update on married life and what's going on with us!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment